Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Oganisation Schmorganisation


This is just a quickie - quick wave to say hello - because I have spent the evening wrestling with student essays and the little wretches have sucked the creativity out of my brain. However, today's task is:

How do you keep your yarn wrangling organised? It seems like an easy to answer question at first, but in fact organisation exists on many levels. Maybe you are truly not organised at all, in which case I am personally daring you to try and photograph your stash in whatever locations you can find the individual skeins. However, if you are organised, blog about an aspect of that organisation process, whether that be a particularly neat and tidy knitting bag, a decorative display of your crochet hooks, your organised stash or your project and stash pages on Ravelry.

Oh, the mirth involved in contemplating an answer to this question! Organised? Haw, haw.
But I pulled myself together.
How do I keep my yarn organised? Frankly, I don't. It's everywhere. I recently found a skein in my knickers drawer - and it was a nice cotton/acrylic mix, too. I was pleased to find it again (it seemed to have made friends with a pair of tights), but I still have no idea how it got in there. I'd like to believe that it has a mind of its own, but a more likely explanation is that I swooped it up when I was sorting out my laundry. I find balls of wool all over the place, and when I stand up to get a glass of water, I usually leave a trail of yarn that stretches from the living room to the kitchen. I'm turning into a Half-Woman, Half-Spider, as I seem to be weaving woolly webs wherever I go.

My container of preference is a basket - simply because this house was full of them when we moved in (for recent readers I should add that we moved into a house with a bizarre inventory: here's one of our favourite pieces.) Sometimes my yarn looks like a big, tangled mess but I'm proud to say that it also sometimes manages to look like this - a thing of beauty and a joy for five minutes.

3 comments:

TurtleDoveCoo said...

Oh, I adore baskets! I have to settle for keeping my yarn in plastic crates, plastic boxes, plastic bags (recycled) and even paper boxes I've made from old calendar pages! I have nothing that looks as pretty as your basket of yarn.

Hope you find some restful time crocheting or knitting soon, it will calm your hectic mind!

Voie de Vie said...

That does indeed look like a thing of beauty. I bet all of your yarn is perfectly organized!

Just a Girl said...

Oo! May I imitate you and share a post of my yarn "organizers?" Mine are quite messy at the moment, I'm ashamed to say. But that might provide my readers with something amusing I suppose. ;o)

I love your rainbow of yarn, how pretty! I really want to stock up on some bright yarns in the near future, but money has been a bit tight lately, so I will just have to dream for a little while.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who confesses to finding random things in my underwear drawer; I'm the type of person who will accidentally put the milk in a cupboard and the crackers in the fridge! ;oD