Monday, June 14, 2010

BoHo Chic Cushion Covers

I love colours and I love granny squares. I think you might have noticed this by now.
Anyway, whilst distracting you all with mesmerising pictures of rainbow-coloured granny squares like this:


I was secretly working away on two stacks of 16 squares that each became a cushion cover. These squares involved very ... um ... daring colour schemes. Wine red with lime green. And sky blue. Plus shocking pink. For example.
Why?
Why not?
I have to branch out every now and again and try a few new colour combinations.

The result is this: two cushion covers that are surprisingly harmonious in their colourfulness. I backed them with a purple fleece blanket which I bought for a song, and sneakily found a way to create a neat and practical backing that can be achieved by even the most sewing-challenged - or more accurate for me: sewing sloths.

(I know I'm not alone in this, so never fear, a tutorial will follow in the coming days.)


7 comments:

Sharon Marie said...

They turned out very pretty. I need to be more daring with my colors like you are. :)I like your idea of using a fleece blanket for the backs. I had bought a few on clearance and I think you have given me a great idea!

patrysia said...

Love them! I may have to make some of my own up when I re-do my living room in blue and white later this year. I bet a certain little kitty girl who lives here would love that for a tuffet.

pip said...

nice to see you're putting all those granny squares to good use... ;) Beautiful cushions!

Paul & Carla said...

It's amazing what all lime goes with. Love your new cushions. They look great!

Elisabetta said...

Your new cushions are so beautiful!!!! I've been thinking about knitting a cushion cover for almost a year now, I could be inspired by your wonderful colors....

Aisyah Helga said...

These cushion covers are beautiful!! Love all the colors you used.

Suzie said...

Great job! Your cushion cover will match my future apple-green granny square blankie! Love the backing, too...did you crochet the squares into the fleece somehow?