In an attempt to use up scraps, I once again found myself in the Catch-22 situation of starting a project to use up yarn and then needing to buy more to finish it. That was the first of several reasons why this project began as a good idea and then drove me nuts.
You see, I thought a fine use of blocks of colour would be to recreate a volume equalizer. Lots of strong, bright colours combined with black - why, I had a basket full of this kind of yarn, left over from my Réalta. It was given the go-ahead ("Yeah, it's ... cool." Thanks, dudes) by the Gingerbread Bros, who were visiting at the time, and off I went, merrily crocheting squares of colour. In fact, I had sewn them all together and was feeling very proud of myself, when my husband pointed out that I had made a huge, obvious boo-boo: my colour bars went from red to blue, instead of the other way around. (Click the link above and you will see that practically every picture shows the squares in the opposite colour direction to mine - and yet I managed to blithely ignore the fact that I was doing it wrong. Yay, me.) There was some fist-biting, I admit, and even a measure of teeth-gnashing - but I unpicked the whole thing and re-sewed it, adding more squares till it was the right way around. I know, I know, but I have this slightly obsessive tick from my father's side of the family and that's just they way it is.
Finally finished, Mr Gingerbread strolled past the blanket laid out on the floor and calmly observed that there are no turquoise blocks in an equalizer, whereupon he received some choice suggestions to remove himself forthwith as his wife was surely at her wits' end, thank you very much. So here you go: the blanket that broke my heart -