Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Autumn Realta

This one was a bit of a hit-and-miss effort. I had planned to make it with these colours:


Very demure, eh? Unfortunately, three of the six colours were so similar, I couldn't tell them apart when I was crocheting in the evening under artificial light. After my fifth time clambering on to the coffee table  to hold my crochet up to the lightbulb, I decided to throw a few more colours into the mix.

The problem was, it still didn't look very nice:


But here speaketh the benefit of 30 years' crochet experience: you have to keep going. Uh-huh! Even if the 52 individual pieces don't look very nice, something weird and wonderful happens when you sew it all together. It becomes ... quite interesting. Rather nice. Sometimes even kind of pretty.




And, in an effort to turn over a new crafting leaf, I created and kept a project page.
Impressive, eh? Yup. Sometimes I even surprise myself:

 
(I would be more impressed with myself if I hadn't promptly lost it after completing the afghan, but I'm pretty sure it's on my desk somewhere.)

14 comments:

Wibbo said...

Lovely! :o)

Madcricket said...

This is gorgeous!

Bri said...

I really like the colors on this one too. And I am going to steal (nicely of course)your project page...thats a great idea.

Anonymous said...

You cracked me up. Lost it already? Sounds so much like me. I'm sure you will find it again.

You're right. You should never judge something by a few bits. Somehow it does come together and beautifully. I really like the colors you used. Good job!

The Gingerbread Lady said...

Hi Bri,
I'm going to put it up as a downloadable PDf when I find a good PDF hosting service - then you can steal freely :-)

iggystar said...

I love those colors, very soft and beautiful.

katiemckinna said...

Hey, that afghan really came together well.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the pdf. That's just the sort of lovely and (don't take this the wrong way!) slightly anal retentive kind of chart I LOVE.

Also? "After my fifth time clambering on to the coffee table to hold my crochet up to the lightbulb" made me laugh out loud. Glad I'd swallowed my coffee. I have so often been in JUST THAT POSITION.

Well done. It's understated and beautiful.

Bri said...

Ha! Just as long as its not a zip file! :o)

Paula said...

Gorgeous! I love how colours work together to create this "earthy" look.

Tina said...

To me it IS beautiful! I love those soft, warm, earthly colours!

Joan said...

Wow, when I saw your first picture, I didn't think I was going to like the finished product.... but the the whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts! So lovely!

Darsynia said...

I agree with Joan! I was so pleasantly surprised when I saw the end result! That is inspiring more than you know, as someone who has a lot of trouble picking colors sometimes. I almost ALWAYS pick them too close to each other.

Paul & Carla said...

I can't believe I didn't comment on this and tell you how fabulous the finished product is! I would be hard-pressed to decide which Realta incarnation is my favorite!