Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Using what I have


Since I started to show my true colours, i.e. as a crafter, I've got a lot of yarny presents. Most are odd skeins found by the gifter when tidying up, some even come attached to a half-knitted sleeve or with needles or hook still attached. More often than not, they're fun fur or other novelty yarns:

 

So I've decided to use them up. Just destash and use them up for Christmas presents or charity donations. Take, for example, the lavender mohair yarn: this was passed from knitter to knitter before it ended up with me. The yarn is very nice, but incredibly fine - a nightmare to knit or crochet with.

 

Teamed up with a soft acrylic of the same shade, it produces a soft scarf that's slightly furry to the touch:



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful....I like to use what I have and see what happens. Sometimes it's a good thing!

Emily said...

Gorgeous colour! Mohair is a PAIN to work with though... Ive some gprgeous yarn but too furry to crochet with, was thinking of making a simple cardboard loom and weaving little squares.... would look lovely teamed with crochet squares... I hope!!!!

glor said...

Beautiful! I love the mohair with the yarn, what a great idea, not only looks great but must feel so cozy.

Quinn said...

That is a lovely project! And what a creative way to use those yarny gifts. Beautiful!

Paul & Carla said...

Clever solution to a difficult problem.

Lisa said...

Hi. Just found your blog though Crochetville. I was wondering if you could give me some ideas on what I can use when a pattern calls for worsted weight yarn. I am originally from America and have all of my patterns, but have no idea which yarns I can buy here in Germany. Thank you so much for your help